UPDATE - February 16, 2023
The 2023 scholarship application deadline was February 15, 2023, and the round is now closed to new applications. The committee and Board of Trustees are reviewing the applications. Those selected to receive a scholarship will be contacted in the late spring, with the grants awarded in the fall of 2023.
As of February 16, 2023, the Pi Gamma Mu Scholarship application requirements for future rounds are under review. No changes will be made to the 2023 scholarship requirements for the applications that were received by February 15, 2023. Only future rounds will be affected by any changes.
A renewed set of requirements will be made available soon -- in plenty of time for the next round of applications which will be due on February 15, 2024.
Please check this webpage often for updates regarding the next round.
2023 SCHOLARSHIP REQUIREMENTS (round closed on Feb. 15, 2023)
Note: The 2023 scholarship application deadline was February 15, 2023, and the round is now closed to new applications. The committee and Board of Trustees are reviewing the applications. Those selected to receive a scholarship will be contacted in the late spring, with the grants awarded in the fall.
If you are a member of Pi Gamma Mu, you could qualify to be the recipient of a $2000 or $1000 award to attend graduate school. Click here to learn about last year's scholarship recipients. Why not be one of the next recipients?
- Only members of Pi Gamma Mu are eligible.
- Eligibility is for up to four years from initiation into Pi Gamma Mu.
- Scholarships are intended for the first or second year of graduate work in a student's first graduate degree program.
- The degree program must be in one of the following areas of study: anthropology, criminal justice, economics, geography-human, gerontology, history, history of education, human services, international relations, political science, psychology, social philosophy, sociology, social work, as well as related interdisciplinary programs anchored in the Social Sciences, particularly those that focus on age, environment, ethnicity, gender, race, and regional studies.
- Business Administration is specifically excluded from consideration.
- Other interdisciplinary fields will be considered on an individual basis based upon the degree to which the social sciences are an integral component of the overall course of study. In such cases, applicants should submit a program description outlining requirements and coursework.
Previous recipients of Pi Gamma Mu scholarships are not eligible to apply again.
The personal statement of purpose (i.e., Why do I want to pursue graduate studies in the social sciences?) is quite important. It should include information about the applicant's commitment to the social sciences and should have a professional appearance. Winners will be notified in late spring, with the grants awarded in the fall. Only complete applications will be considered for awards. No more than three scholarships will be given annually in any one graduate field.
Questions? Please contact Pi Gamma Mu Executive Director Suzanne Rupp at [email protected]
The annual deadline is February 15.
How to Apply:
The scholarship application and all attachments (other than official transcripts) should be submitted via the online Scholarship Portal. You will require a Google account.
All scholarship applications must contain the following components:
- The online application form.
- Personal statement (see below for important details). To be uploaded in Section 6 of the online form.
- Resume. To be uploaded in Section 7 of the online form.
- The names of at least three people who will be providing you with recommendations using our online form. The recommendations should be made by individuals qualified to assess the applicant’s academic merit. You will enter the names on the online application form and you will provide each individual with a link he or she will use to access an online recommendation form (the link will be available in the Scholarship Portal).
- Official transcripts from all institutions of higher learning attended. Transcripts should be official and include the school's stamp or seal.
Please have the transcripts mailed to:
Pi Gamma Mu International Honor Society
1001 Millington St. Ste. B
Winfield, KS 67156 USA
Or have the college/university email the transcripts to:
The following scholarships are awarded—assuming a complete pool of qualified applicants—annually:
NAMED / ENDOWED SCHOLARSHIPS:
- Carroll Parish Scholarship ($2000): The international Board of Trustees funded this scholarship to memorialize Carroll Parish, late chancellor of Pi Gamma Mu's Western Region.
- Daniel E. Quigley Law Scholarship ($1000): The international Board of Trustees funded this scholarship to memorialize Atty. Dan Quigley, Pi Gamma Mu's late legal counsel. (For more information about Atty. Quigley, click here.) The scholarship is awarded to a student for his or her first year of law school.
- Gordon E. Mercer Scholarship ($1000): The international Board of Trustees established this scholarship to honor Dr. Gordon E. Mercer, Pi Gamma Mu's 13th international president. The scholarship is awarded to a student for his or her first or second year of a graduate degree in Public Policy.
- Marvel Stockwell Scholarship ($2000): The international Board of Trustees funded this scholarship to memorialize Marvel Stockwell, late Pi Gamma Mu international first vice president.
- Effie B. Urquhart Scholarship ($2000): The international Board of Trustees funded this scholarship to memorialize Effie B. Urquhart, Pi Gamma Mu's late national executive secretary. (For more information about Mrs. Urquhart, click here.)
- Up to seven additional scholarships ($1000 each): The international Board of Trustees funds these scholarships, with support from donors who have indicated their support of this scholarship program with their financial gifts to Pi Gamma Mu. For information about donating to help support this program, click here.
A friend of Pi Gamma Mu may endow a $2000-per-year named scholarship for a one-time donation of $50,000. The scholarship may be named for the donor or for someone whom the donor wants to honor or memorialize. For further information, contact Pi Gamma Mu's international office at (620) 221-3128.